Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Arabesque Ending Chronicles II - Rapture: The Flame in the Darkness


The day it happened I was sitting on the fountain with my girlfriend, Shadow. We were having lunch like we always did. There were people all around us, and we were making fun of the way these people were being all furtive and discreet about everything. A man in an uncomfortable looking suit was trying to hide the fact that he was texting. Shadow splashed water on me, and laughed.

                “Hey, Tiger, whatcha looking at,” I turned back to her and laughed at the stupid nickname she used for me.

                “Tiger, I like that. Hmm, does that mean I can call you Lemon?” She narrowed her eyes at me aware that I was trying to change the subject. But pushing it off, she took the bait.

                “Nope,” She answered. I laughed, and then tried again.

                “Kitten,” She looked at me, cocked her head, and then flipped her hair and nodded enthusiastically. “Kitten and Tiger,” She tried experimentally. Then her face lit up. Mine wasn’t smiling though. She frowned and asked “What’s wrong,” I said very seriously managing to keep a straight face

                “Tiger and Kitten,” She threw her head back and laughed. Now I smiled, Shadow’s laugh was a wonderful thing to hear. But today wasn’t a day to smile. I had a bad feeling, and I knew what this feeling was.

                Shadow had saved me when I fell. From Heaven that is. My name is Blayze.  And I’m a fallen angel. Shadow and I, chose our love over our love of ‘The Almighty Light’. She was kind enough to have Gabriel cast me out of Heaven, and not send me to hell, and not tear out my wings. Wonderful and pristine as they may be, our wings are our greatest weakness. If they are even touched we could be killed, they are a bit like our Achilles’ heel.

                Shadow couldn’t feel the same as I could we were affected differently. Obviously ‘The Almighty Light’ gave me this gift so I would know what to do when the time came. I stood up and took Shadow’s hand. She was confused at first, but she’d learned not to question my motives after a few years. So, she followed happily chatting, pointing out the clarity of everything.

                She stopped a couple times to gather dandelions, and put one behind my ear and then pressed her lips gently against mine, listening to the sweet singing of birds. She did this at times. Sometimes she was so . . . human. The prospect seemed so strange to me, but these were just the things about her that I endeared most. The humanness of her thought processes. Wrapping an arm around my waist, smiling in bliss, Shadow asked.

                “What’s happening, Tiger, what’s wrong?” I looked down at her and kissed her forehead. Her smile grew even wider. “Something bad, Kitten, something real bad, you know how a few years ago, we had to stop seeing each other for a while, while I healed.” She nodded understanding.

                “Well, something worse is happening now.” She wrinkled her forehead in thought, and then asked once again. “What?”

                “Well, you’ve read the bible.” She scoffed and answered

                “Like four times!” My only reply to this was, “1 Corinthians 15:51-52. . . 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17. . . Philippians 3:20-21.” She thought for a moment, then easily, confidently recited “Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet, for the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. . . For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. . . But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.” Then seeming to absorb all of what she’d just said on what seemed like a command. She kind of whispered to herself “Oh-” Then to me. “Rapture,” I nodded, thinking to myself, right on the dot.

                I started walking faster; the feeling had become stronger than before. What did she want me to do? How was I supposed to help any of this? Save myself, save Shadow, save the innocents, what? The only thing I could think of right now was to get to the one place no one still a resident in Heaven could touch. There was only one I absolutely knew of, but it was at least seven kilometers away. We needed a ride. Then in one will, a man pulled up next to us. He asked if we needed a ride, we gratefully accepted. Just as we got in, baseball sized hail started pouring down. The man smiled at me from the front seat.

                “Hail in June, huh? Who’d have thought?” He said attempting at friendly conversation; Shadow reached over and put her hand on my knee, I glared at him under my long dark bangs. “Calm down, Tiger, everything will be okay.” I looked at her and she smiled so reassuringly, that I might have believed her. But as unfortunate as it was, I’d been trained in spotting liars, and this wonderfully human girl was lying through her teeth. There it was in her eyes, that one little emotion that spoiled everything for her. Fear. The emotion that drove people to do the crazy things they do, fear was worse than hate or anger at cause and effect.

                Then knowing I would see through her shield she moved her hand up to my forehead, and let actual concern peek through. “You’re warm.” She said. I laughed at her. She knew my temperatures always varied between freezing point, and 180 degrees Fahrenheit. I would be worried if my temperature was that of even relatively close to hers. She leaned into me, and fell asleep. I woke her up in the ten minutes it took to be at our destination.

                The one place heaven residents couldn’t touch. Actually, it was more pure than heaven itself, which over the years had been tainted, the strikingly peaceful eye of the storm. It was the ocean. But that’s not the point of it; it was what was under the ocean. A volcano, that with the way things were going probably wouldn’t be dead much longer. The volcano was one of the many entrances to Hell. Shadow wrapped her arms around my shoulders and said “I hate when you do this.” I smiled back at her and jumped into the sea.

                The only resistance between me and the dazzling ocean is Shadow, who is stubbornly holding on to my back. I taught her a long time ago to not strangle me, but sometimes habit gave into panic. Not very often but today, I could feel her slight arms slowly constricting around my neck.

                She wasn’t going to kill me, but, it was extremely uncomfortable to have something tightening around your throat when you’re trying to concentrate while hail is pouring down on you and you can clearly see a hurricane in a close range. Even though this was most likely the least problematic all of that day, but this one stuck out to me.

                Shadow’s grip was tight enough to cut off my head, luckily it didn’t. God only knows how traumatic that would have been for her. She was hitting my back as hard as she could with minimal amounts of air and now I could feel it through the numbness caused by the freezing cold water. I looked back at her and she gestured for air. The only response I could give her was a nod and a finger for patience.

                 It killed me, that I kept forgetting how utterly fragile she was. How could I forget? It was only too obvious every time I looked at her she would smile and I could see the rising and falling of her shoulders and chest as she breathed. And when I called her in the middle of the night, she slept. And she was so . . . wonderful. Now, I wrapped her arms around my waist for her, so she could hold on as tight as she wanted without me being uncomfortable. The problem was she wasn’t holding on as tight anymore, her grip was weakening any second, and with her grip faltering I was afraid to swim too fast and she’d not be able to keep hold of me.

                The time dragged on, and then I felt it, her grip ceased. She just fell away from me, I looked around, but the water was so dark from pollution that I couldn’t possibly see her at all through the murk. I swam down, and everywhere I could think she might be, I even went up once. I was frantic with fatal worrying, she couldn’t be gone. Not this way, not in this dark, cold place. She deserved to be warm and living and loved. She deserved to be able to live. She should be more than that.

                I shook my head, and after another fruitless search, left. I left everything, swimming up to the surface of the water. I propelled myself forward without bothering to even observe the slightest things. I was walking through the city now, and realized my temperature had risen again; the water was seemingly evaporating off of my skin. I hated it.

                I hated it. No. I didn’t deserve to be hot, or warm, I shouldn’t be able to move. I should be wherever Shadow was now. She was so beautiful. I closed my eyes and slipped my hand into hers. I could feel her warmth again, feel her soft skin in mine, and feel her lips on my cheek and my lips and my forehead. And then I couldn’t. The rain was falling down my body, no longer hail, the storm clouds blocked out the sun and I could feel her fear, I was supposed to save her. I knew that she was gone, and I knew that she wasn’t coming back, and I knew that it was time, but what was I supposed to do about all of it? And then there was just nothing. Nothing at all, no emotions or feelings or senses, I was in a vacuum inside myself. I was helpless.

                          

              Shadow was falling, there was a light and she desperately wanted to reach it but time was passing oh, so slowly. She couldn’t imagine anything slower than this. Then she was rushing and she wasn’t ready to go yet. She still had time with Blayze, he needed her to heal him, and she knew this. And then there was this white noise in the background. She was sitting with some other people and they all faintly reminded her of Blayze. The only reason was that they were the angels. The not fallen, she’d heard Blayze talk about them sometimes, nothing too nice either.

                They were all looking at her, then a beautiful woman, who looked about Shadow’s mom’s age - Oh my God, her mom. What was she doing right now, was she worried about her? Was she already dead? Shadow didn’t know. – Walked up to her and smiled pleasantly like she was greeting an old friend. And I guess in some ways, she was. Then she introduced herself as the ‘light’. Shadow faintly remembered a memory of Blayze talking about ‘the almighty light’ and her jaw dropped.

                “Oh. My. God. It’s God!” She said to the surrounding angels and they showed no sign of seeing her. They were all paying attention to ‘the light’. She smiled amused and replied “Some people call me that, but I rather prefer my friends to call me Dee.” Shadow just kind of stood there and looked at her. She had floor length wispy blonde hair, crow’s feet around her eyes from smiling, thin lips. Not all that attractive, Shadow thought.

                Now, after she’d calmed down, she looked around at the other angels, they looked completely normal. There were business men and women, and there were college students and children, and they weren’t dressed in white robes, they looked as if you’d just passed them on the street. Just a little bit different. Now that she’d got to thinking, Shadow asked, “Why am I here?”

                The older woman smiled and said “I chose you. A long time ago actually, and then you became the beautiful girl you took the form of. I assume you’ll want me to call you Gabby instead of Gabe this time, eh?” She walked on. But Shadow stopped putting two and two together.

                “Gabriel?” She asked. Dee stopped and looked back at her. She was no longer smiling.

                “Well, Gabriel will work I assume, it’s always been Gabe with you before. I have to admit, I never expected you to take the form of a girl, and especially not for your first reincarnation.” Shocked, Shadow forced her feet to move and kept pace with Dee.

                “Why did I not know before?” She asked.

                “Angels reincarnate every few million years, and when they do, they are given a lifetime to be human. They forget their entire angel persona. But I’m afraid it will no longer be the same after this rapture.” She finished grimly. “You’ve forgotten completely. And while you’ve forgotten you’ve also had one of angel’s highest ranking officers kicked out of Heaven for you.”

                “But why did Blayze not know who I was?” Shadow asked. She closed her eyes and answered

                “Because when an angel is going through their human stage everyone who ever met them or ever will forgets about them. Even me,” She hung her head in sadness.

                “Wait, so I’m the archangel Gabriel, and I’m supposed to remember that I am, but I don’t. Are you sure you’ve got the right person?” Shadow said in one breath.

                “Yes, you’ve got the same life force you always have had.” She said.

                “So, if I’m an archangel, do I have the power to give people their wings back, and take them from whatever hell, they come from?” ‘The Almighty Light’, Dee, looked at me, and nodded with suspicion. Shadow made up her mind and said “Thank you.”

               

                The darkness was gone now. I could see everything so clearly, it was ridiculous. Like seeing through the looking glass, everything was so fine and magnified; every single detail was broken up into grains of sand. But no one could see me. I was nonexistent. I was walking through oblivion, darkness was more prominent, and it was like seeing through Vincent Van Gogh’s eyes. Everything was drawn, in swirling colours and shades. I couldn’t remember anything from before.

                There was just nothing. A blank space, but now the world was so full of everything, filled to the breaking point. The hues of the rainbow, the aquamarines, and robin’s blue for the sky, the deep sea green for the grass, they were everywhere. It was like a thousand crayon boxes mashed together in a whirlwind of everything. And the people walking around weren’t people. They were humanoid but they didn’t have any features, they consisted of colours, there were colours that humans had never even seen before.

                And then there was one figure that looked positively glowing. The fact being that she was glowing helped a little bit, her aura was white, almost too bright white to look at directly. She was walking right in my direction and I was thankful for the little warmth she brought with her, there was very little in this place, or a perception of time. There was everything and nothing all at once and it was positively wonderfully horrid. And then there was her. She was close now, I could feel the heat emanating off of her, and she wasn’t like the others. I had a faint sense of familiarity. She was standing right in front of me stopped now; she had features too, not like the others. Her face was almost perfect. She smiled at me.

                “Blayze,” She sighed with relief and the light enfolded me. And there she was, every second of my banishment. There she was holding my hand, kissing my lips, hugging me with her weak arms, compared to my strength, caressing my wings with amazement. It was all there in my memory, like a flash of lightning. And then she was there, her thick black hair falling down her body like waves, her multitude of freckles, her cute little nose, and pink soft lips, her utter perfection, Shadow, the most important girl in the universe and beyond.

                And then in less time than that, we were walking side by side. 

                “So, apparently I’m the Archangel Gabriel’s reincarnation.” She said casually, I was still looking around us star struck when this registered. I looked at her with my eyebrow raised,

                “No, you aren’t, it was Gabriel that threw me out of Heaven . . . for you.” She just smiled at me.

                 “Yes, you’ve told me that, I’ve been an angel for a shorter time, (well what I remember anyway) and already I can correct you. Time perception darling, heaven always has an archangel, even when we think that we’re human it will be the future us or the past us, in a second an entire galaxy could have gone by and we would feel it, but we’d never actually know.”  I squinted at her,

                “So, you’re an archangel, huh?” I was smiling brightly now. I could feel the weight of my wings and see her black menacing looking wings, and knew that they were actually gentler than most living things. And my tropical glowing blue wings, ready to fly. “That means you have the power to restore me to my former rank, Kitten.” I was already devising a plan in my head. She smiled and said,

                “Already taken care of Tiger, now . . . kiss me. I haven’t had a real proper kiss in ages. Not since the love of my life was sent to purgatory.” She looked up at me and fluttered her wings in a manner of flirting before I pressed my lips to hers. No longer could I be thrown out of Heaven. Two archangels in love was definitely not a crime against ‘The Almighty Light’. Normally it would be but we were an exception. I could feel the glowing of her dark aura her wings gave off, bending closer to mine so I did the same, and our wing tips touched without any reaction from either of us, we were too busy with our lips. And this commitment was made, angel wings were never made for anyone to touch, but when two angels’ wings touched it meant something more than Human Marriage or Vampire Feeding, or any ritualistic joining. It meant angel’s wings morphing.

                Our wings were now the exact same colour, Elektrick Blue, and they were more luminescent than any angel’s wings have ever been. And now we looked deep into each other’s eyes, and breaking away, turned to bow before ‘The Almighty Light’.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment