Monday, April 29, 2013

Arabesque Endings Chronicles III- Demonic Raid


                I sat down next to Gemma. She was already talking so I was quiet for a while, I didn’t want to interrupt her. I looked around the circular table and for a moment I attempted something I hadn’t for a long time, smiling. I had made so many friends since I died. Some of them, like Gemma, were my friends before I died. We weren’t allowed to smile in Hell and I knew that, but I couldn’t keep myself from trying. I was actually, relatively, ignorantly happy in Hell. That’s an oxymoron of sorts isn’t it?

                I’m pretty good at those. My mind contradicts itself all the time. I attempted to smile at Gemma when I told her the news and she hugged me. Today was the day. Hell was going to freeze over and even if it didn’t then Lucifer would still lead us to Earth. We walked into the fire pit, yes as cliché as it sounds there was a fire pit in Hell. It’s a bar, with alcohol. I’d never drank alcohol before I died, well that was a lie, but only when I was in Junior High. I attempted to clear the smoke that inevitably crowded itself in front of my face. But nothing came of it; it was merely replace by worse smelling smoke.

                The bar was one of the cleanest in our ring of hell. It was created by one of my close friends. His name was John Doe. Well, at least that’s what he tells everyone he meets. Gemma walked in as I held the door open for her, she curtsied as a guy walked out. I grabbed a rag from the counter, it left a film of dirt and alcohol on my hand, but it cleaned off mine and Gemma’s stools. John walked up to us and asked us what it would be, I ordered something stronger than anything they ever had on earth. This drink was created by pure fiery plasma. But I couldn’t feel the burn; I was too used to it by now.  

                I was only 18 when I died. It was pretty sudden. And I didn’t get a bad deal with Hell.  I had just gotten married to the love of my life. I’d had a crush on him since we had to share the same table all day in sixth grade. We were driving down the interstate slowly (we were a bit preoccupied in the car and didn’t want to get into a wreck). He’d picked out the perfect honeymoon for us. A hotel that looked like Hogwarts on the outside and had a room for each fandom, which there were a lot of, we booked the TARDIS interior which actually had a pool! I was to say the least excited.

                I was sitting in the front seat of our Impala and flirting with him. He was laughing, the greatest laugh ever. Lying back in my seat, I told him to pull over. I knew I had to get a bowtie for our honeymoon. It was mandatory, and I saw a Mall coming up. He looked not at all happy about this, but did it anyway pouting the whole time. I got out and walked into a wedding shop in my wedding dress. Bet I looked a bit strange. I got a bowtie and left. I went out the back way so, that I could surprise him.

                I was twirling around in circles playing the song that we first danced to, this morning in my head. I saw a guy curled up in a corner, and then I saw it. There was a boy lying on the pavement behind the dumpster, blood was pooling around his body, how could such a small child’s body contain that much blood? I curled my hand around my mouth, simultaneously dropping the bowtie I had been whirling around like a streamer.

                Walking up to the man shuddering with sobs in the corner, I put my hand on his shoulder and said ”Are you okay?” He looked at me and then realizing what was happening pulled a gun out of his jacket and shoved it in my face. He looked me up and down and realized what I was wearing and assuming I had just gotten married. A pained expression overcame his dark toned face.

                “I’m sorry.” I tilted my head and looked at him questioningly.

                “What?” And then before I knew what was happening I had a tremendous headache. And I couldn’t feel anything. My vision went black and I felt really cold. And then I was sitting with him in my wedding dress covered in blood. He was crying and having a sort of mental breakdown. And then I was in Hell. There were lots of people there and no one paid any attention to me. I was just another confused person. I’m not even sure why I came to be in Hell. I don’t think I did anything wrong. I didn’t believe in God. But I was a wonderful person compared to most people. I volunteered, I was healthy. I even contemplated adopting a child with him. We never talked about it. I’d like to think I brought joy, or contributed to the joy brought to a lot of people. But I guess I didn’t do enough.

                I looked at Gemma and she knew without me having to say anything. The world had finally turned around. I touched the scar on my head. I thought of him and knew what I would do. Without any further thought on the matter, when I got to Earth I would find him. I would love him like I never got the chance to. The raid would begin at sunrise. Of course we didn’t have a sun in Hell, but we would all know. There would be a feeling, and we would know.   

                That feeling came after the fire had gone out. Hell was a bit like a desert. It was scorching hot, and the night was colder than an ice cube, I don’t mean to be all science-y but I’m pretty sure they create a sort of vacuum for us when the fire goes out, or maybe that’s why the fire goes out. I don’t know, I’m no rocket scientist, and I’m pretty sure rocket science isn’t what you need to know for that information. I shrugged and downed my second glass of Plasma. I set my head down on the bar and John picked it up for me wiping the dirt off gingerly and weirdly compassionately intimately. He left his hand lingering slightly comforting on my face and then pulled away to refill my glass.

                I tipped my head gratefully up and downed the third glass. Gemma watched me. “So, what are you going to do when you get out?” She asked John who shrugged and continued filling glasses. She made a face at him, which I’m pretty sure I couldn’t imitate if my life depended on it. “What about you?” She said pointedly staring at me. I ignored her finishing my fifth glass. I simply shrugged snapping at John. “Well, you guys are no fun. I know exactly what I’m doing. First I’m going to go shopping. Wearing the same clothes for what seems like an eternity is destroying my body.” I looked at her. Why did I have to pick talkative friends, why couldn’t she just accept that no one cares? “And then I’m going to find me a nice mortal boy, to corrupt as a demon does.” I nodded as if I actually cared. I snapped at the new bartender. He set down four glasses for me and Gemma. I drank all of them in succession. I’d already forgotten how many that made.

                I left the bar and slept on the sidewalk, getting kicked every ten seconds. I didn’t mind. I didn’t want to be drunk when I saw him, it had been at least seven years, and he would be expecting something wonderful and amazing. Not a drunken demon who was quiet and a mess because of something that happened seven years ago. He would be fantastic and I would be too. All of a sudden, everyone outside and inside, started walking one way almost as if they were being brainwashed, they were walking together like a swarm. I got up and started walking with them.

                Gemma was walking hand in hand with a guy, they both had blank expressions. I walked up next to them, I even smacked Gemma in the face and stomped on the anonymous guy’s foot, they had absolutely no reaction. After a while I just kind of followed them without any reason to. No one else was conscious either; I was definitely out of place. Then we just stopped walking everywhere. There he was so glorious standing there; Lucifer was the most beautiful of Demons. His hair was what some people would call elegantly disheveled.

                “Today is our glory day!” He yelled. So what was this? A riot, a pep talk, something in between, “Follow me brethren, for we shall claim our lives back. We will soon rule over mankind, for our former selves have been brought here for a reason.” I clapped and shouted with everyone else though I still had no idea what he was talking about. We were suddenly in a crowd of people. All of the demons looked around like strangers in a strange land.

                Now, Demons aren’t what I assume you picture when you think of Demons, you probably think red skin, horns, pitchfork tail, fangs, black eyes, nope. We don’t change when we die. Our souls don’t anyway, my body was more than likely crawling with worms by now, but our souls look completely human. I started walking forward and everyone mostly ignored us. Humans are stupid apes, we may have looked human, but there was an obvious difference between us. They just went on their merry way.

                Then –Excuse the irony of this- all Hell broke loose. One of the people I had become close to in my seven years of perdition grabbed a knife and stabbed two children who were waiting in line to buy a candy bar. I covered my mouth in shock and ran out the door, away from the chaos. I had to find him, once I did that everything would be okay. I walked outside into the sunlight and wind and basked in it for a moment too long. Gemma caught sight of me and followed suit. She tapped me on the shoulder and smiled.

                “It feels so good to smile again!” I just looked at her. She wrinkled her nose as if she had been insulted. I walked away to find a phonebook. I grabbed one off of a bench for a bus stop. I quickly found his name in it and smiled for the first time. Then I wiped that stupid look off of my face and set a destination in my head. Walking down to the sidewalk I, with difficulty, hailed a cab. The cabbie was very familiar to me, but he was extremely rude. He charged me a lot of money which I, of course, didn’t have so I just told him he would get it when he took us where we wanted to go. I handed him the slip of paper that I had written the address down on, he raised an eyebrow at me.

                “This is in Manhattan, you know that right?” I just shrugged, I find myself doing that a lot. He whistled and said “I’m gonna be pretty rich at the end of this car ride.” Gemma blabbered about random things the entire way there. I tuned her out watching outside the window the only thing that interested me right now was getting to him and falling into his arms. I noticed things, places I used to live, places I always wanted to see. None of that mattered anymore. I pictured the reuniting scene. It would be exactly like a love story.  I would run to him, and he would realize what had happened and then he would run to me and we would meet each other halfway and then we would live happily ever after, which didn’t seem impossible at the time because there were no other demons attempting to wipe out the entire human population.

                Gemma eventually fell asleep and I was so jittery every moment, I woke her up numerous times when I was talking to myself. She got more annoyed by me in those few hours than I ever was by her in seven years. I smiled at the thought of being with him again. I asked the cabbie a question after a minute.

                “Do you think there are any sappy love songs playing on the radio?” He got the hint. He turned on the radio and he thought to himself I better get paid extra. I woke Gemma up when we got to our destination. I jumped out of the car without any hesitation and I ran to the door. I stopped myself from knocking though. I saw something on the inside of the house through a window. He was there with another girl. They were older. Of course! How could I have been so stupid? He was sitting there with his arm around another girl. There were three shorter heads on the couch next to them and one on his lap. Two of them, twins, a boy and a girl, they were both blonde and they were jumping up and down play fighting with each other, they couldn’t be more than 3 years old. There was a teenager on the couch, listening to music, and the little girl on his lap was sucking her thumb, she must’ve been the third twin, so he had triplets.

                I wondered how the teenager was there; I had only been gone seven years hadn’t I? Then I realized that his wife was a bit older than him, and the adolescent had a striking resemblance to her. His hair was dark like hers and unless he had died it, I was assuming it was his stepson. He did show obvious dislike for him. I couldn’t see anyone not liking him though. I realized that my face was wet. I had started raining. No, my body was dry, it was just my face. I was crying.  I hadn’t been able to cry in a long, long time. I turned away and sat on the stoop. Then I saw Gemma walking toward me and I had a blindingly brilliant idea.

                “Gemma! Gemma, I need you to do something for me! Okay, you see that family in there, they’re going to die, unless we help them! I need you to warn them that they could die if they don’t find a safe place to get to, immediately!” Gemma pursed her lips at me unhappily.

                “Well, why can’t you do it? What do I care if they die?” She asked. I had to think very hard for an answer.

                “I can’t do it because one of them will freak out, they knew me when I was alive. And you care if they die, because I care if they die, and think about all the things that I’ve done for you in these past few years.” Gemma attempted to put up a good argument but couldn’t think of any, so while I hid in the bushes, Gemma walked up to the door and knocked. He opened the door and smiled. It was so wonderful to see him smile again. I heard Gemma’s words from far away.

                “Oh. My. God! There are people eating people and they won’t die! You need to get to safety right NOW! Mister whatever your name is! I suggest you take the people you love and get out. Get somewhere they won’t find you!” He looked confused but before he could ask any questions she ran off, and as if on cue, I ran out of the bushed and bit her arm, tricking his mind into thinking I was tearing her arm off. He slammed the door shut and I heard yells of alarm, as he turned on the news and saw it was true. They gathered up all their valuables and got in the car and drove away.

                Before they left he tried to find Gemma and failed, as she was hiding in the bushes with me at the moment. Well, I thought, I couldn’t guarantee his safety or his family’s but I had forewarned him and that gave me peace of mind. Gemma had her arm around me, and I was finally telling all the stuff that had been haunting me for what seemed like forever. It told her about all the amazingly romantic stuff that had happened between me and him and how none of it mattered anymore. All that mattered was his family being safe and him being happy.

                I was staring at my feet not looking where I was going, as I was talking to Gemma and I kicked something that looked very strange. It was his wallet. I opened it and there were five pictures in it. One of his wife, or I assumed she was his wife, her name was written on the back of it. Olivia. There was a picture of the teenaged boy under that one, he definitely was not happy to have his picture taken, or didn’t appear to be anyway. Colin. The triplet that was sitting on his lap had pigtails in and a shirt on that said “Daddy’s Girl”. Piper. The only triplet boy was sticking his tongue out at the camera; he looked exactly like his father did when he was that age. Sean. The last triplet, the one fighting with her brother on the couch was in overalls. Luna. They all looked so happy. I let the tears fall more freely than they had been.

                That night I was going through his wallet in private, I had found his I.D. card. He was so adorable. His hair was darker than it had been when we were eighteen. It was longer too. Then something fell out, it was a picture that must have been hidden, because I dissected his wallet trying to find out all I could about him. For instance I found out that he opened a Comic Book Shoppe like he’d always wanted to, and I cried even more when I found out he’d named it after me. The picture was of us on our wedding day. He was holding me bridal style, sitting on the highest branch of the tree we had gotten married under. I was kissing him, and almost immediately after that picture was snapped, we fell from the tree, thankfully not breaking anything in our fall. On the back of it, it read: My darling Twyla, my first and always love, giving me the last kiss I will ever cherish more than my life - Enoch

No comments:

Post a Comment